250 Quad Racing

Forums RotorTown Multirotors 250 Quad Racing

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 2 months ago by Anonymous. This post has been viewed 1343 times
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Many you who have been out to the field this winter have seen several of us dragging barrels out to the “tall grass” (which is thankfully pretty short right now) to set-up race courses for our 250 class quadcopters.

These have been an absolute blast to fly… They are incredibly resilient to unintentional landings, and in the grand scheme of things are very inexpensive to build.

Below are a few videos from our onboard cameras.

If anyone is interested in details, just let us know here and any of us would be happy to start a thread on hardware needed and building tips!

Any questions, fire away!!

-J

AReynolds
    Participant

What quads are you guy racing and what kind of camera set up?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Various different set-ups between us right now.

The one I’m flying in those videos (video from mine doesn’t have the props in view) is similar to this:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_600&products_id=3644

Its a great set-up for the $ and comes with the frame, motors, ESC’s, and control board. Basically add RX and camera gear. The actual video was taken using a Mobius, but I’m running FatShark gear for the video feed.

The others are variants of this one, also a good starting point, the guys can speak better than I on this one, but I think the kit motors leave a little to be desired:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52863__HobbyKing_Spec_FPV250_V2_Quad_Copter_ARF_Combo_Kit_Mini_Sized_FPV_Multi_Rotor_ARF_.html

They are running the spektrum micro cam / video TX. Range is more than suitable for what we’re doing at the field.

If you (or anyone else) want more details let us know and we can post a thread with all of the details you’d need to get started.

They are an absolute blast.

AReynolds
    Participant

Got dad and Josh Dromida Ominus quads for Christmas Ronnie keeps them at the hobby shop and can get parts etc that’s why I went with them.  They are pretty cheap, a blast to fly and they seem pretty tough.  Once we get good with them can a FPV set up be added or do we need to step up to a better quad?

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are several ways to get into FPV.

Option 1 –

Choose a camera, video transmitter, and goggles.

Not sure if he has more presently, but I got one of these from Crossroads:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/SPMVA1100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&CAWELAID=320011980000165275&catargetid=320011980000166136&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAodOlBRDCjr-UlJDjtVUSJABR7fxy8SwBqlr5jmoxYHZjCOmfaaW69-t4Z3tyCerU3UTyURoC4d_w_wcB

Its an all in one camera and video TX that is powered by a 1S gumstick battery, is FCC compliant without HAM license and is compatible with any FatShark goggles.

Then just pick out a set of Fatshark compatible goggles and you’re good to go.

Option 2…

Check out the FPV Nano RTF set. I think he still has one at Crossroads as well. It comes with a FPV NanoQX as well as a basic set of FatShark goggles. The little thing is a riot, and particularly this time of year as it can be easily flown indoors.. Incredible amount of fun flying around the house, under tables, through chairs, etc…

The goggles are fairly basic but do the job well. If you get into the racing thing, display quality in the goggles matters less than you’d think since everything is happening so fast. Its very very immersive.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/nano-qx-fpv-rtf-with-safe-technology-blh7200

Here’s one more option, a bundle with the goggles and micro cam to put on whatever airframe you want. Lots of people have been having good luck with them on the new little Cub S as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ultra-micro-fpv-system-with-headset-spmvs1100

AReynolds
    Participant

Option 3 looks like the way to go hook it to what you want.  Are the googles any good or would you be better off buying the camera and picking a set of goggles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like so many things in this hobby, what do you expect from it / what are you willing to pay….

I personally have the FatShark Attitude V2’s and I love them. Whit has a set of the goggles in that bundle. I’ve looked through them but have not flown them. I’m sure he will weigh in.

Personally, I believe they are certainly good enough to get going, and probably keep you going if you’re looking at doing mostly low / fast flying where you don’t have time to really notice / process the details anyway.

Goggles are a funny thing, kind of like a transmitter. You don’t want to skimp, but its also hard to justify top shelf before you know you’re going to enjoy / stay in that portion of the hobby.

Whitt, thoughts?

President RVRC

I just got the nano qx fpv. i noticed that if you press and hold center button on goggles you get a zoom in picture and you can use the head tracker to look around picture. up down side to side. cool stuff!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I little bird mentioned you picked one up. Hope you’re getting some good flights in with it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, the Teleporter goggle (like in the nano rtf set) do an admirable job, but do suffer from resolution, but then again, they are very affordable and have head tracking built in.

The older set I have (Aviator 2.4GHz) have better resolution (640×480 vs 320×240) and a better field of view.  The down side is it’s 2.4 and I have to run an external Rx, and no built in head tracker.

The newer Dominator goggle have excellent FoV and resolution, but you have to buy an Rx and HT module.

Like Jason said, cost goes up with quality and features. But, the simple fact is that with 5.8GHz vtx, you will loose quality in signal, and whatever does come through will not be HD (unless you go with a completely different and even more expensive gear).  Also, when you’re low and fast, resolution becomes less of a factor.  Now, if you’re into aerial photography and need to frame shots, yeah, get the best goggles and gear you can afford.  Racing, not so much.

One thing folks don’t think about is risk.  Goggles are fairly fragile, and can be severely damaged  simply by allowing direct sunlight into the eye cups (imagine that ant under your magnifying glass being the LCD screens in the goggles).  And you take these out into the field where they may be dropped, rained on, or simply set down the wrong way and the screens get fried.  Which would you rather have damaged, a $250 set, or an $800 set?

Anonymous
    Inactive

January 2015 Compilation…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.