F3A Pattern

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years, 10 months ago by Anonymous. This post has been viewed 725 times
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So, I’ve mentioned elsewhere (in other threads, and at the field), that I’ve become somewhat enamored with improving my fixed wing flying, particularly by using some of the F3A Pattern maneuvers.

In my previous RC flying days, I flew a fair amount of fixed wing, knew cuban 8’s, Immelmann’s, etc, etc… but never had a resource at the field with a real knowledge of F3A, nor had I done much reading on the topic.

After seeing Whitt fly his Splendor on several occasions, and talking in a bit more detail about his past pattern experiences, my interest was peaked, and I started doing some more reading.

As I read more, and started to shift my way of thinking (segments of loops, etc…), and began applying these concepts. Though I don’t have a desire to truly fly competitively, it definitely provides me with things to strive for in each flight. Getting lines straighter, keeping maneuvers more centered, segments equal lengths, etc…

I also find myself slowing things down quite a bit, and also enjoying seeing the aircraft flow through a well executed maneuver with a level of satisfaction I’d not gotten previously.

Here are a few great links with information on F3A and pattern flight:

http://nsrca.us/index.php/sequences

http://www.seniorpattern.com/improve/

I do think it would be a blast if some folks are interested in flying some degree of F3A at an organized, or even impromptu fun fly. Its also important to keep in mind that while there are obviously dedicated pattern airframes, many airframes are quite capable of smoothly executing quite a few of them. I’ve been practicing a lot with the PZ ArtiZan, but there’s nothing wrong with a good ol’ Trojan, etc…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.