FPV Racing, I Want IN!!

Forums RotorTown Multirotors FPV Racing, I Want IN!!

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 1 month ago by Anonymous. This post has been viewed 1183 times
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So, many of you guys have been watching us race these mini quads and have asked, “what do I need to do that?”  So, to help out, I thought I’d post a “bare minimum” list of components that are not junk.  Most of the items in my list I have or currently use.  I have gotten junk, and learned after the fact that it was junk, and friends don’t let friends fly junk.

Anyway, I tried to source out parts from as few vendors as possible, but tried to also bear in mind the affordability of an all-in all-at-once entry setup.

Frame :  Hobbyking 250 ~$10
    ESCs:  Hobbyking 12A ~$9 x4
    Motor:  readymaderc.com  (CCW Rotation) ~$16  x2
    Motor:  readymaderc.com  (CW Rotation)   ~$16  x2
    Controller:  readymaderc.com  ~$30
    Props:  readymaderc.com  ~$3  x2 (color choice up to you)

Total for a receiver ready 250 basic setup:  ~$120
    Add battery:  readymaderc.com  3s 35C 1300mAH  ~$15 each
    Add Spektrum Sat Rx:  helidirect.com  ~$35
    Sat Rx cable (very short):  helidirect.com  ~$6
    (or use a standard 6ch Rx of your choice)
    LED:  Various sources, but you need a tail light for safety.

At this point you should have a flyable 250 quad.  The only remaining piece is the video gear.  Spektrum is marketing the Fatshark entry level system in a few different packages.
    The NanoQX FPV RTF comes with the goggles, and a NanoQX set up for fpv.  The camera/vTx is FCC license free, and can be mounted on other aircraft, including a 250 racer.  This retails for around $450, which may sound expensive, but it is a pretty good deal for what you get.  I currently race with these goggles and cam.
    For fixed wing pilots, there is the Vapor FPV.  This also comes with the goggles and micro license free cam/vTx, but mounted on a Vapor.  This cam can also be relocated.
    This set has the goggles and cam, but without an airframe.  ~$350

So, ~$180 for the quad and a pair of batteries, plus the goggle set is just over $500.  The good news is that if you build another one, you don’t have to buy another goggle, or a cam/vTx if you relocate it as needed.

Some of the links I posted above may be out of stock at those sites.  I would try to source parts local when you can, but it’s not always possible.  Be careful when ordering escs for multirotors, as ones flashed with SimonK firmware perform better than regular fixed wing escs.  Motors sould be in the 15-20mm, 1900-2400KV range, preferably for multirotor with clockwise and counter clockwise nut threads. Keep it light and nimble.  Most of the courses we are developing tend to penalize heavy boom-and-zoom setups.

Feel free to suggest hardware in this thread.

Whitt

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent breakdown.

Not much that can be said / added to that, other than to add another option.

The Emaxx kit also flies great (though its a bit heavier), and is very durable.

Possibly the biggest benefit (when they are available) is that everything is in one package for anyone who would prefer not to order individual components:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_600&products_id=3644

That set comes with the frame, motors, ESC’s, and control board for $155. You would still need the RX and video components Whitt mentioned above so its about $30 more than above but gets you everything from one vendor, and as I’ve proven, its quite durable. 🙂

The other difference is that the controller included in this package does require a PC to program, while the one Whitt linked to has its own screen and is programmable by push-buttons mounted on the board.

Pick your poison, and either way, if you want to build one be sure to reach out to any of us for set-up tips. While not terribly complicated, I’d bet that any of us could share some learnings that would help get you in the air with a minimum of frustration.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.