Foamie Pylon Racing

Forums Airplanes Electric Airplanes Foamie Pylon Racing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s pretty slick of them, and convenient on the battery for sure.

Wonder if we’ll see one of the previously ordered little rockets in the air this weekend??

GJordan
    Participant

Hope to fly mine Sunday

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have to say, this thing is ballistic.

Thanks to DaveE for letting me test fly his Bear yesterday (yes, it flies nicely in 20mph winds).  We went through and double checked the OrangeRx gyro setup and did some initial tuning, then it was off to the flight line.

The motor is more than powerful enough to launch with nothing more than letting go of it, little toss involved.  We decided to take off without the gyros and it was uneventful and climbed out with extreme authority.  It did need some elevator trim and a hair of aileron trim, but we got it sorted within a couple passes.

Even at half throttle, it had no issues coming back upwind, and downwind was fast.  I did do a full throttle upwind pass, and it was impressive.

Dave set the throws up by the book, and as such it seemed to have a very wide turn radius.  At the speeds it was moving at, it seemed that that was all I was doing, turns.  We will have to figure out how to make it turn quicker if we’re going to time trial or race these things.  As set up, it did not appear to high speed stall either, but then I was not full on nor bottomed out on the elevator.

Dave painted it in a high contrast orange and white on top, black and white on bottom, which worked very well.  At speed, it gets smaller in a New York minute.

The gyros did an excellent job.  On the ground it didn’t seem like they moved the surfaces at all, though you could hear the servos working.  In the air, the elevator was bang on, but the ailerons were a shade high as some wing wagging was seen at speed.  I have the same Rx Dave used, and I will install it when my airframe arrives (hopefully Friday).

I think I’m going to fly mine on 3s, since 4s (IMO) will make the field too small.

To all those that are getting these, be careful.  This thing is wicked fast, and very small.  Start slow and work your way up the throttle.  Remember, KE=1/2MV^2.

Patch
    Participant

Turn….Turn…Turn…

That is about how my first flight with the bear went.

2 seconds down the runway is about it .

4 seconds in any direction and you may not get it back.

good and fast and tracks well, It’s going to be a ballistic blast!

Many thanks to our prez for the trim fight adjustments

Anonymous
    Inactive

Little thing looked surprisingly solid in the air, still can’t get over how straight it tracked for the size / price.

Fast is an understatement, ballistic comes close. Still not sure how several of these attempting to race will work out, the field gets pretty small at those speeds.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some footage of Patch’s Rare Bear.

Not the best quality as it was taken with a GoPro and had to be significantly cropped since the plane is so small, but it’ll give a little taste of what this thing is all about…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well mine came in yesterday.  Like I said, HK substituted the pre-colored PNP Rarebear for the back ordered kit.  Even though the color scheme looked good, it just was too bland for me.  Luckily it was stickered and not painted.  Removal of the stickers wasn’t too bad.  The paint on the cowl was rubbery and felt uncured.  It came off with a little elbow grease and time.

I decided to go with a blend of my old pattern colors and a neon orange to neon yellow fade.  The fuse is two tone white and black.  The wing is that fade on top, and solid neon yellow on bottom with white wing tips.  Fin and stab are fade both sides.

I’m going to replace the stock esc with a YEP 30 and run an APC 6×4 prop.  The stock prop I believe is a 5.5×3.5, and the APC is probably more efficient.  The prop adapter on the motor was not a funky size, so the APC fit right on.  It also fit the spinner without modifications.

I decided to do the elevator horn mod like Dave, but decided to stick with the stock aileron horns since they appear to be solid.  I’ll try to take some more pics of the innards before I glue it all together.  Maybe this will be helpful to someone.

Here’s a prelim pic after painting.

Paint is off the shelf rattle can Krylon (or something similar) bought from Lowes.  It does not appear to be affecting the EPO foam at all.  Masking was done with 3M delicate, and it did not pull up too much paint when removed.  Not perfect, but acceptable.  I’m going to use dedicated EPO glue I got from Crossroads.  This is specific for EPO and is flexible, so it should not crack and separate from airframe flex during flight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some pix of the elevator.

President RVRC

Some pix of the elevator.

fail…lol

Loved watching those things racing across the sky today!

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah, I noticed that, then forgot to fix it, failzorz.

Today was a hoot, especially when we had three in the air just ripping it up.  I will say that flying these at the limit is a whole different aspect that demands a whole different skill set.  John A I think has that skill set down, as he was cutting consistent full on laps.  It won’t be long before John and Rich show up with a couple of these.

I also think it’s great that everyone seems pretty stoked with either flying or watching them.  It’s hard to imagine a piece of foam would go that fast and be so locked in.  Hearing multiple ‘Bears ripping by was pretty cool.  Not too loud, and the Doppler effect was sweet.

On one of my flights, my eyes felt like they were on fire from not blinking for three minutes.  Was kind of hard to land like that.

Yes, I was getting a solid 3 minutes of wide open throttle, where Dave and Gary were getting closer to 4, but I’m running the 6×4 APC and not the stock prop.  I might see if APC makes a smaller prop to get a little longer run time, but the speed of the 6×4 was very nice.

President RVRC

Only 1 left in the country.  Who’s going to get it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a thread on RCGroups with a lot of good info and alternate setups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622693

Here’s a link to APC’s product page for props:

http://www.apcprop.com/pindex.asp?Page=2

JStubbs
    Participant

Them things were hauling the mail.. Pretty cool. Looks like us warbird better look out behind us 🙂

If you read it on the internet it has to be true!

Anonymous
    Inactive

HobbyKing has a whole line of ~600mm warbirds that have the same power system as the RareBear.  The Bear is the fastest of the line, but I’m sure the others are pretty quick on 4s as well.  I should post about them in another thread since you guys may be interested in them.  They even have a little ballistic T-28 in Navy trainer colors.  Just search for “funfighter” on HK.

Also, I got some sweet pix of your BaeHawk.  I posted them in the 2014 gallery, and put one in the front page slideshow.  That was also a mighty sweet airframe, and great job on the sticks.  Kudos, brother.

http://www.rvrc.org/WP/rvrc-galleries/nggallery/rvrc-galleries/april-2014

JStubbs
    Participant

Love the pictures. I will add a couple more.

If you read it on the internet it has to be true!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.